Friday, October 20, 2017

Casio MTF E001 


Got my hands on a great used Casio that was reportedly run over by a truck. It’s rough but somehow cooler for it. The MTF E001 has a pilot style dial with Bell & Ross style hands, 4 o’clock date window and internal rotating compass ring. It’s only rated to 100m which is ok for every day wear and I’d take it sailing but I prefer 200m or more even though 100m is adequate for 18m or less diving. Long Island Watch has a great video about water resistance if you’re curious. Bottom line, it’s not a dive watch anyway. Plenty of dive specific features on those in contrast with the pilot style features of this one. 

It came to me on an aftermarket band, not a good one, with standard 24mm spring bars. At 24mm the tension in many spring bars leaves them prone to pop off under moderate load, which they did. I ordered a new orange silicone band and used ISO 6425 standard oversized spring bars. Problem solved. They won’t fit all straps but silicone and NATO style are both accommodating. The ones I got from Holben’s weren’t available as of this writing but Barton sells something similar

Standard vs oversized ISO


It took some elbow grease to clean up the case with a Scotch Brite pad and I may install a domed crystal(the crystal is pretty beat up) but I’ve got a great everyday watch with some character and a story. It works, keeps good time and is water tight, in spite of its checkered past. What’s the point of this post? I know, “Yeah, yeah, you got another watch.”

The point is I got a great watch for under $20, and you can too. Keep your eyes open and you’ll find diamonds in the rough of your own. This goes for watches, clothes, bicycles, cars and everything else from iron skillets to houses. You don’t have to make six figures to live well and have nice things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment